Skip to main content

Trail du Gypaete 2015 in Huaraches

La Gypaete (40 km, 2500+, 3300-) is not a casual "petite ballade" even though the numbers are not very impressive, compared to other races in the area.


Still, with the temperatures we had that day, and in Huaraches, the very steep down slopes and mud slides in every forest parts were brutal and destructive, ... and suffering is NOT Tarahumara Spirit.

I finally found my limits of what I can do with Huaraches in the wild!!!

I started suffering when going down the Pointe d'Andey, and ultimate nightmare was in the last part, down from Lac Bénit to the finish line. With the mud between my feet and my sandals and no water to rinse, my Huaraches were slipping out of my feet, with the strings going though the skin. The pain was so excruciating that sometimes I had to go down butt first to have some relief from the skinning between my toes. One hour like this makes some body memory.

But now, it is slowly healing and I learned a lesson. Unless I am 100% sure that the trail is free of mud and not too steep downhill, I will use SHOES. Because avoiding pain and seeking pleasure IS Tarahumara Spirit!


At Le Chinaillon.

Getting ready for the start. Already sweating before even running.

That is when I decided to go for the Huaraches instead of the Skechers GoBionic Trail.

I did not know what was lurking in the woods, VISCOUS MUD SLIDES!


















La montée de la Pointe d'Andey. 35 minutes. PR!



Do not jump, no stop until Bonnevile!


Arrivée au Bargy.



Puis au Lac Bénit, avant la descente aux Enfers.


And now the finish line. Not unhappy to reach the end with my feet cut by the laces of my Huaraches.









What was the color before?



Ah, that is why it was hurting so much!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2013 Geneva Half: 21 kms in Huaraches

On May 5, 2013, for the Geneva Half-Marathon, I tested a "long run" in Huaraches, the running sandals of the Tarahumara people. I was not sure whether my legs and especially my calves were strong enough and springy enough to caress the ground for 21 km so I estimated my time between 2h and 2h30. The result was 2h06, i.e. exactly 10 kph and a big smile during and after. This is another step towards a full Marathon in sandals. And before this running "shoes" become a standard, I can seriously show off and the color of the soles and laces attracts girls. They cannot resist asking me where I got my sandals and if they can have the same color. Note the perfect match with the t-shirt I got at the 20 km of Lausanne just a week before.

Première sortie Salève en Huaraches 2017

Pas vite mais sympa. Reprise après un hiver à me trainer comme un sac. Dernière sortie de mes vieilles Huaraches Xeroshoes. Elles sont un peu usées de la semelle et parfois je recule sur des terrains un peu glissants. Avant d'en refaire une autre paire, je photographie l'usure pour les archives de Steven Sashen à Xeroshoes.

Dr. Stephen Phinney - 'Interactive Workshop – Optimising LCHF for Weight...